Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Nintendo Style-Switch Homework

For this homework, we were supposed to take a character from a Nintendo game and restyle them in a way that they're still recognizable when compared but are in wildly different worlds.
We worked in a group, one person creating the environment, another person creating the character design, and the final person making a model sheet from the character design. My task was to design the character.
Together we chose the game Castlevania and planned not only to gender-swap a character, but also to put them into a Blade Runner-like world. It was extremely challenging to do and took a very long time. I chose the character Simon Belmont and took his design from the original Castlevania to work with.

Below is the end result, the first image (after the Simon reference) containing the character silhouette to plan the posing, the toned design, and the final painting. I had hoped to also tone and paint the design for the back of the character, but I had such a hard time with her design  that, along with other homework I had to complete, I ran out of time. It's past 3am right now and I'm ready for some sleep!
The second image is the nude form I drew beneath to help me get her anatomy correct. Simon Belmont is crazy ripped, so I wanted to keep that in the female form! It was my first time drawing anatomy like this, and I haven't been figure drawing for too long so it was really a struggle for me! I learned a lot though and used my anatomy book, Anatomy for the Artist, by Sara Simblet, to help me figure out the form.

Here is an image of the original Simon Belmont:

And below is my gender-swap, Blade Runner inspired (though THAT was a tough theme to keep to!) design for Simon (Simone?) Belmont.



 Nude under-design for anatomical correctness:

I learned a lot from this entire assignment! It was tough to juggle with other work, especially since we are producing a rapid prototype game at this moment, but I enjoyed the challenge. My goal is to greatly improve my digital art skills during my attendance at FIEA and I hope I can look back to this blog post after the 16 months FIEA will consume and feel that I have accomplished that goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment